Boat tours Portovenere. Private charter of yachts and sailboats at best price.
Portovenere is an extraordinary town in eastern Liguria. It appears as a characteristic medieval town in the western part of the Gulf of Poets, between the Cinque Terre and La Spezia.
Since 1997 Portovenere has been recognized as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO together with the Cinque Terre, Palmaria, Tino and Tinetto islands. The first evidence of Porto Venere or Portovenere, as many write, date back to Roman and Byzantine times.
The name of the village Portus Veneris derives from the Temple of Venus, which long ago stood in place of the current Church of San Pietro. Legend has it that the goddess Venus was born from the abundant foam of the sea under the promontory on which the temple once stood.
To fully appreciate the charm of one of the most impressive villages in the Mediterranean, we recommend a visit from the sea. You will be enraptured by the extraordinary beauty of the wall of the pastel coloured facades. The colourful walk leads to a rocky promontory, where the church of San Pietro stands overlooking the sea. Built in 1277 in the Genoese-Gothic style, it fascinates us with its romantic atmosphere.
Going down the steep stairs that lead to the sea, near the church we can see the famous Byron Cave (Arpaya). An interesting story is linked to this place. It is said that in 1822 the poet Lord Byron visited Porto Venere and, being a great swimmer, he made the swim crossing for 8 km, from Portovenere to Lerici to reach his friend Shelley who was staying in Lerici at that time. As the plate at the entrance of the cave indicates: “This cave was the inspiration of Lord Byron and recalls the immortal poet, a brave swimmer who braved the waves of the sea from Portovenere to Lerici”. We cannot know for sure if it is a simple legend, but we like to think it was true.
Another magnificent monument of Porto Venere is the Doria Castle, a typical Genoese fortress built in the XII-XIV century. Also, worth visiting is the 12th century Church of San Lorenzo, where every year, on August 17th, the feast of the White Madonna is celebrated, patron saint of the city of Portovenere. Throughout the city, thousands of candles are lit, and at dusk they create a fabulous and fantastic atmosphere.
In front of Portovenere, about 100 metres in the narrowest point is the island of Palmaria. This is the only inhabited island in Liguria, with an area of 1.6 square km. The island is a nature reserve and is an ideal place for trekking and walking. Among the historic buildings on the island: Fort Umberto First and Fort Cavour.
Among the most fascinating beaches are Pozzale and Terrizzo. On the other side of Palmaria, there is the smaller island of Tino, where an ancient monastery was erected. This island can only be visited twice a year: on 13 September on the occasion of the feast of San Venerio and the following Sunday. On the open sea side, near the Tino, a small Tinetto islet emerges from the sea, on which the ruins of the small religious buildings of the monks are still preserved.Share this tour